Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a Code Enforcement issue or violation? 

There are three ways to report an issue:

  1. Online via the City's non-emergency reporting system, Report Rio Rancho
  2. By calling 505-891-5864 and leaving a message. 
  3. In-person by visiting the Code Enforcement Division located on the first floor of City Hall.

What can I do to help?

  • Take pride in your neighborhood. 
  • Become familiar with the City codes.
  • Set an example and keep your property violation-free.
  • Ask your neighbors to comply when you notice a violation.
  • Contact Code Enforcement about continuing code violations or report a possible violation via Report Rio Rancho

May I report an issue anonymously?

Complainants do not have to identify themselves. However, if you would like a Code Enforcement Officer to contact you regarding the status of the complaint, your name and telephone number are necessary.

What happens after I report a violation?

When a code violation is reported, Code Enforcement officers open a complaint and work toward resolving the violation through voluntary compliance, which includes education, inspection, and notices. Continued violations are followed by progressive enforcement. Each code has its own set of enforcement procedures; however, the process generally follows this sequence:

  • Complaint received by Code Enforcement;
  • Inspection of the property is conducted;
  • Notice is left at residence or sent to violator allowing time for correction;
  • Re-inspection is conducted;
  • Criminal citations issued if the violation is not corrected.

What happens if I have a violation?

Once a violation has been observed, it is the intent of Code Enforcement to have the resident/property owner come into voluntary compliance. To accomplish this, the resident is typically given 15 days to take whatever action is requested to correct the problem. On the scheduled compliance date, a follow-up inspection is conducted. If the violation is still on the property, additional informal and formal steps may be used to gain compliance. For instance, an attempt to contact the responsible party may be made in person or via telephone and a Notice of Ordinance Violation may be left at the front door informing the resident to correct the violation(s). It is also possible that a civil court process may be initiated.

What if the property is a rental? 

For common violations, Code Enforcement will typically try to gain voluntarily compliance from either the resident of the property or the property owner. In the event the resident does not voluntarily comply, the Code Enforcement officer will notify the owner of the property, as recorded with the county assessor's office. A formal Notice of Ordinance Violation will be issued to the property owner.

What happens if the property does not come into voluntary compliance? 

There are times when voluntary compliance is not achieved. When informal and formal efforts fail to get compliance, the Code Enforcement officer will initiate an appropriate progressive enforcement step. Depending on the violation, this might include issuing a criminal citation requiring the responsible party's appearance in Municipal Court.

Do I need to get a permit?

It is always advisable to contact the permit office at 505-891-5005 to ask if permits are required before starting any home project.

Permits are required for most minor repairs and remodel work including garage conversions, replacement of windows, siding, trim or roofing. Permits are also required for:

  • New Home Submittals
  • Addition/Remodels
  • Secondary Structure 121 Sq. Feet & Over
  • Retaining Wall/Fence
  • Plumbing/Mechanical/Electrical Permits
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas

What are the most common violations that occur within the City? 

Code Enforcement receives numerous complaints, covering a wide range of problems. Please click here to visit our Common Violations page